Some gardeners prefer planting peas on the ground, while others use containers for the plantation of peas. No matter which method you use for the plantation, you will need to support peas to grow well.
There are different approaches that gardeners use to support peas. Some prefer using trellises, while others try stakes. Besides, you can even use tomato cages for this purpose.
However, most gardeners usually favour investing money to purchase a lot of trellises for their peas. Well, instead of spending a lot of money, we suggest you try making pea trellis by yourself. Following are some DIY pea trellis ideas that will help you do this project by yourself.
Idea 1: Woven Pea Plants Trellis
Woven pea trellis is the first project we suggest you try in this DIY pea trellis ideas list. No matter how much space you have, you can go for the woven pea trellis method.
Even if you have a large garden or a small lawn, you can make woven pea trellis in your area. The reason that this project does not depend on space is that it is highly flexible.
You can adjust it as per the space you have. You can make a long row of peas using this method or keep it around a barrel. The best thing about the woven pea trellis method is that it does not require a lot of material.
Materials Needed to Make Woven Pea Trellis
Following are the materials that you should have if you want to make woven pea trellis at your place.
- Metal T posts
Steps to Follow to Make Woven Pea Trellis
- First, you will need to plant the peas in a double row. By planting it in a double row, you will be able to grow peas on both sides of the trellis.
- After that, you will need to begin from the bottom of the posts. Once you have placed the posts, make sure to tie the post with the opposite post using a string.
- Try adding a new row after every 4 inches. Keeping each of the rows 4 inches away from each other will give you a better outcome.
- Further, you can even use some tall stakes between the posts. These tall stakes will work as additional support, which will be beneficial for peas growth. It will also help you stop the trellis from sagging.
- Once you are done adding all the horizontal rows, use the string to tie the free end of the twine. Tie it to the top of the row and make sure that it is around 4 inches in from the post.
- After that, you will require measuring the ground and add around six more inches. As you advance down the row, bring twine down and keep it over the crosspiece front.
- Keep it under and up the back. After that, put it over the top and down around the upcoming row. By doing so, you can make a better-looking trellis within a short time.
Idea 2: Raised Bed Pea Trellis
Raised bed pea trellis is also quite popular all over the world. It is a sturdy trellis that will provide better support to the peas. Apart from peas, you can even make it for cucumbers as well.
Materials Needed to Make Raised Bed Pea Trellis
If you plan to make raised bed pea trellis, make sure to collect the following materials before starting the process.
- 2 pointed stakes
- Electric conduit
- 4 deck screws
Steps to Follow to Make Raised Bed Pea Trellis
- At first, you will need to cut the conduit. Make sure to cut it in half and then flatten it. Keep it flatten around 1-3/4 inches of the ends. You can use a hammer to make them flatten.
- After that, you will need to flatten the second end. However, while flattening the second end, make sure that you line it up. By doing so, you will make both the flattened pieces parallel.
- Besides, you will require drilling a hole on the flattened end. Make sure to drill the hole in the centre. However, while drilling, make sure that the head of the screws does not pass through it.
- Once you are done drilling holes, use the stakes and place them on the ground where you want to construct the trellis.
- After that, put one end of the pipe on the stakes ends and screw both the ends. You will need to repeat this process with other stakes as well.
- Once you have completed it, your trellis is ready to stand. To fix the stakes into the ground, you can utilize a hammer.
Idea 3: Bamboo Pea Trellis
Bamboo pea trellis is one of the easy ways to provide support to the peas. The best thing about this process is that it does not demand many materials and is easier to complete. This method primarily depends on the bamboo poles. You can get bamboo poles of various lengths as per your choice.
Materials Needed to Make Bamboo Pea Trellis
To make the bamboo pea trellis, you will need to collect the following material.
- Garden helper
- Garden twine
- Bamboo poles
Steps to Follow to Make Bamboo Pea Trellis
- First, you will need to take two long bamboo poles and stick them into the soil. Make sure to fix the bamboo poles on both sides of the pea patch.
- After that, you will require making a frame with the help of bamboo poles. You can add two additional bamboo poles to make a frame. Make sure that the length of the bamboo poles is a few inches longer than the side stakes width.
- You can use a rope around the poles to fix them together and try keeping them in a figure-eight pattern.
- Further, you will also need to use the twine on a spool. Make sure to tie one end of the twine with the bottom side of the frame. Also, keep the twine up and over the frame top. You can ask your garden helper to wind the twine. Make sure to use the twine in such a way that the frame becomes secure.
- After that, make sure to gently lift pea plant tips and tie their tendrils with the twine.
So, now your bamboo pea trellis is ready. Check whether it is secure enough to withstand wind or not.
Idea 4: Pea Arch Trellis
Do you have less space at your home, but still, you want to make pea trellis? If that is the case, you should go for a pea arch trellis as it does not occupy much space.
Though this process requires more materials, it is worth trying. For this process, you will also need to arrange a few metal pipes. The use of metal pipes makes it a more durable project.
It will last for years because of such long-lasting materials. You can even use EMT conduit pipes if you want. The best thing is that EMT conduit pipes are affordable, lightweight and you can easily purchase them from your nearby local store.
Materials Needed to Make Pea Arch Trellis
Before starting the process, make sure that you have the following material.
- Wire cutters
- Metal pipe cutter
- Tape measure
- Work gloves
- EMT conduit pipes
- EMT conduit pipes elbows
If you do not want to use wire netting for peas, you can try some other material. A nylon plant support netting is also suggested if you do not like using chicken wire netting.
Steps to Follow to Make Pea Arch Trellis
- A measure of the pipe is the first thing that you need to do. To better measure the pipe, you should first know how big you want your trellis frame to be. Measure according to the length of the pea arch trellis you want.
- After taking the correct measurement, you will need to perform the cutting of the pipe. Different tools are available that you can use for the cutting task. However, we would suggest using a metal pipe cutter to get a better outcome. Make sure to cut the pipe for frame legs and arch frame top.
- Further, you will have to assemble the frame. For this, arrange all the pipes in a certain order that they make a U shape. You will require multiple pipes to do this. Besides, take one pipe of around 2 feet and two pipes of 4 feet. Use these pipes as legs and tops of the frame. Use the screw couplings and assemble these frames.
- After that, you will need to tighten the couplings. Tightening it will help you secure the frame. For the tightening process, you can utilize a screwdriver. Keep on tightening until the frame is secured.
- Once you are done with tightening the frame, the next step is to install it into the garden. Put the frame into the garden and keep it level across the top.
- After installing, you will need to secure the fencing with the help of cable ties. You can use chicken wire netting for this task.
Now, your pea arch trellis is ready. By this, growing peas will become easier. It will also make your gardening skill better.