The fence is the most overlooked thing in the home. Installing a fence gives your lawn a new look. You can also add colorful plants to make your fence seem more elegant.
With the help of colorful paints on the fence, your lawn will look completely beautiful. It can also offer you some privacy. By installing a fence, you can protect your home and make it more secure. For this purpose, different types of fencing are used.
Wooden panel fencing is most famous for this purpose. People usually prefer it because it is very easy to install a wooden fence. The wooden fence also requires less money than building a wall.
Its maintenance also requires less effort and saves a lot of time. However, there are many other fences available which you will find in this article. You will also learn how to install those fences easily.
Advantages of Having Fence
There are a lot of advantages to having a fence. These advantages include;
Protecting to Yard or Lawn
People work a lot to maintain their lawn or yard. They invest a sufficient amount of time in this work. But many times, animals destroy the yard by eating the plants and grass. The animals destroy your lawn and waste all your effort.
At that time, having a fence helps a lot. The fence will help you protect your yard or home from the animals. With the help of a fence, no animal can enter the yard. You can easily save your effort by installing a fence.
Add protection to your home. Check this out: 8 Best Solar Fence Lights – 2021 Guide
Barrier against Weather
Many times, the weather does not suit best. The harsh weather can sometimes destroy the plants badly. With the help of a fence, you can provide an extra barrier against such bad weather. Due to the fence, the plants and grass do not get affected directly.
Privacy is another reason that people love installing a fence in their homes. Privacy is the right of every person. By having a privacy fence, you can protect your privacy greatly. It is a great way to protect your property along with your privacy.
Steps to Install a Fence
Installing a fence requires some time and work. Before installing a fence, you should know the basic steps to do it. These important steps include;
Step 1: Select Right Place for Fence
For installing the fence correctly, it is very important to select the right place for fencing. You have to check and mark the line of your property. It will help you to determine where you exactly want to install the fence. After completing this research, you can now move to the next step.
Step 2: Select the Right Type of Fence Panels
After selecting the place, you have to select the right type of fence. There are many different types of fences. These different types of fences include;
- Close Board Fencing: It consists of vertical boards of timber that overlap each other. These fence panels are the heaviest and also very strong. If you want a strong and long-lasting fence, then close-board fencing is best for you.
- Overlap Fencing: It consists of horizontal timber boards that overlap each other. If you want a high level of privacy, then overlap fencing will be a suitable choice for you. Overlap fencing is also among the cheapest fences.
- Picket Fencing: It is a stylish type of fence that also helps maintain the garden view. It provides you with low borders. The picket fencing is ideal for those who want a stylish look for their garden.
- Trellis: It is open-screen fencing. Trellis is also known as the decorative fence panel. You can use trellis on the top of a solid fence. If you want some decorative fence panels, then try trellis.
You can choose any of the fence panels according to your choice and preferences. For privacy purposes, use a fence that is made of prefabricated panels. The width of the fence panels and panel specifications help you to decide which fence suits your needs.
Step 3: Selecting the Right Fence Post
You have to decide whether you want wooden posts, metal, or concrete posts. These posts have some advantages and disadvantages. Also, you have to decide with which post supports you have to set them.
- Concrete Posts: Concrete fence posts consist of heavy material. These posts have high strength. Using concrete posts will provide you with a strong fence. But the only problem is that you have to work hard to set up these concrete posts.
- Wooden Posts: Wooden fence posts are lighter in weight than concrete posts. You can easily handle these posts. The only problem with the wooden post is that you have to bury them in the ground. As the posts are buried in the ground, you will need to dig a hole.
- Metal Posts: Metal fence posts help you solve the problems you may have to face while using concrete and wooden fence posts. There is no chance of the rotten metal posts. Also, metal posts are easy to handle. Metal posts are very easy to use. You can put up metal posts quickly.
Step 4: Measure the Layout
For installing the fence, measurement is very important. To measure the fence, you have to follow these steps.
- Measure Fence Line: First, you have to measure the length of the entire lines of the fence. The measuring line also includes the measurement of the gate. With the help of the measuring wheel, take all the measurements. Now with the help of chalk, outline the fence and also mark the locations of the gate.
- Determine the Number of Panels: After taking the measurement, the second step is to determine the number of panels. For this, you have to subtract the length of gates from the total fence measurement. After this, divide this number by the panel length of the fence that you want to install. It will give you the number of panels that you need.
- Determine the Number of Fence Posts: The next step is to determine the number of fence posts. For this, you have to divide the length of your fence with the spacing of the post. It will give you the number of fence posts that you will need. After every 6 to 8 feet, there is a need to place a fence post.
Step 5: Collect Tools and Materials
After taking the fence measurement, you need to collect the tools and materials that are required. For establishing a fence, you have to collect the following tools.
- Post Hole digger
- Tape measure
- Power drill
- Fence posts and panels
Step 6: Take the Right Position of Fence Posts
Before constructing the fence, you have to place the fence posts in their right position. After every 6 to 8 feet, there is a need to place the post along the fence line. You have to make sure that the distance between every post is the same.
Step 7: Dig a Hole and Set Posts
After placing the fence post, you should now dig a hole with the help of a fence post hole digger. You can also use other equipment for digging holes. The hole should be approximately 1/3 deep, according to the post of the fence. If you have a 6-foot post, you have to dig holes about 2 feet deep.
For each post, pour the gravel about 3 to 4 inches. After this, add the cement on top of the gravel. Now place the post in the center of the cement. With the help of a leveler, check whether the post is in the proper position or not. Allow the cement to set at the base of the posts.
Step 8: Installing Rails
When the cement is fully set at the base of the post, the next step is to attach the rails with posts. The number of rails depends on your fence. It also depends on the height of your fence.
If you want to install a fence that gives you complete privacy, you will need three rails. You can place three rails in this way, one rail at the bottom of the fence, the second one in the middle, and the third one on the top edge of the fence.
You can use different tools for establishing rails with the posts. You can use a power drill to attach them. Or you can also use deck screws. A simple hammer and 3 to 4 nails will also help you join the rails with posts.
Step 9: Installing Gate
Gate provides the finishing touch to the fence. The installation of the gate posts is done in the same way. You can install them like normal fence posts. For installing gates, you need screws and a screwdriver along with hinges of the required size.
Where you want to attach the hinges, pre-drill at that point, then attach the hinges to the gate with the help of a screw. After that, attach the gate with the post. Now install the lock mechanism.
You may also like to install: Best Garden Arches – 2021 Reviews
Installing a fence will give you a much better appearance at your place. If you do not know how to install a fence, then do not worry because this article will help you know how to install a fence. By following the given steps, you can easily install a fence in your place without much hassle.