Baking soda is a simple product and is made of sodium bicarbonate. Baking soda is a highly alkaline and completely natural product. When baking soda and an acidic medium combine, it produces carbon dioxide gas.
There are many different ways by which you can use baking soda for your home. But is baking soda good for your garden? Will baking soda help you produce healthy plants? Well, you will know about the benefits of baking soda for the garden.
Use Baking Soda in the Garden
In the garden, baking soda can be used in many different ways. Baking soda can operate in both indoor and outdoor works. You can say baking soda is a friend of the gardener as it helps Gardner in many different ways.
It helps in the cleaning of tools and also as a fungicide. It can help you in solving many different problems related to the garden. We are here to tell you the exclusive ways to use baking soda. It will help you a lot in maintaining your garden.
Benefit 1: Treatment of Different Diseases
There are many different diseases of plants. These diseases can happen to both flower and vegetable plants. Many times, we do not find ways to control these diseases. If this happens in your garden, then you do not need to worry.
You can use baking soda with some other ingredients to treat these diseases. With the help of baking soda, you can treat the following conditions and make your plant healthy. Baking Soda is your helping agent in this process.
For the Treatment of Rose Black Spot Disease
Black Spot disease is prevalent in rose plants. It happens due to the presence of fungus and due to fungal growth. Sodium Bicarbonate in baking soda can prevent fungal growth. It can avoid the fungal black spot that appears on roses.
Baking soda does not kill the spores but prevents their growth. By baking soda, you can prevent fungal growth completely. For the treatment of rose black spot disease, you have to follow this procedure;
- Take a gallon of water.
- Take four teaspoons of baking soda.
- Add these four teaspoons of baking soda to the gallon of water.
- Add this solution to a spray bottle. Now spray this solution on the black spot of roses. It will help to change the pH level of leaves. Due to which the fungus find it difficult to infect the plant.
You can use this mixture to prevent the effect of fungal disease on any plant. You can also use it on grapes and vines. The grapes and vines also greatly suffer from fungal growth.
For the Treatment of Powdery Mildew
Powdery Mildew is a common problem in many plants. Due to the presence of high humidity in the garden, the problem of powdery mildew takes place. This problem looks like the presence of white powder on the surface of leaves.
It can affect many different types of plants like cucumbers, squash, and many others. If your plants also suffer from this problem, then the use of baking soda is best. It can treat powdery mildew on plants. For the treatment of powdery mildew, you have to follow this procedure.
- Take 1 tablespoon of baking soda and add it to 1 gallon of water.
- Now add 1 tablespoon of vegetable oil and dishwashing liquid in it.
- Mix it thoroughly, and then add it to a spray bottle. Use it in a week or when the weather is good. This mixture works best in good weather when the sun is not there.
- Ultimately dilute the solution before use. Use only a tiny amount of it. If you use a large amount of this mixture, then it might burn the leaves.
As a Fungal Spray for Tomato Plants
Tomato Plants easily suffer from fungal diseases. The most common disease in tomato plants is leaf spots and early blight. These two diseases can destroy your tomato plant greatly. With the help of baking soda, you can easily make an organic spray for tomato plants.
This spray helps to fight the fungal disease of tomatoes. You can also use it for the powdery mildew on tomato plants. For making an organic tomato spray, you have to follow these steps;
- Take one gallon of warm water.
- Add 1 tablespoon of baking soda lightly to it.
- Now add two and a half tablespoons of vegetable oil and half a teaspoon of castile soap to it.
- Mix this mixture well and pour this into the spray bottle. With the help of vegetable oil, the mixture adheres to the leaves of the plant. As long as it adheres to the leaves, the mix works best. Spray it on the foliage, and fungal disease starts finishing.
Benefit 2: Using Baking Soda as Garden Cleaner
Baking soda is used for cleaning the garden. It can be used alone or also used with some other products as a cleaner. Different uses of baking soda involve;
Cleaning Clay Pots
Many times, there are different marks on clay pots. It becomes impossible to get rid of these marks. But with the help of baking soda, you can clean your clay pots. For cleaning the clay pots, follow these steps;
- Take baking soda and water and mix them well. The baking soda and water mixture should have the consistency of hand lotion.
- It should not be that much liquid or solid. The mixture should be consistent. So you can easily handle this mixture.
- Now take a clay pot and start to rub the solution on the salt marks. After rubbing, leave the mixture for about 20 minutes on that mark. Now rinse it with normal water. After this, you will see a clear difference in clay pots.
To Clean Recycle Bins
Many people use different types of recycling bins in their gardens. These recycle containers hold our yard waste. It holds a large amount of garbage in our garden daily.
After some time, these bins become dirty and smelly. The bins get smelly due to the presence of moist waste in them. Due to this, it becomes essential to clean these recycle bins. If you are not cleaning them on time, then their dirty smell spreads all around.
Take baking soda and place a thick layer of it on the bottom of the bin. Leave it there for some time. It will absorb all the odour from the bin. With the help of baking soda, it will clean thoroughly and become odour-free.
Benefit 3: Baking Soda as a Plant Fertilizer
Baking Soda alone is not used as a fertilizer. But when it is used with different other products, then it can act as a fertilizer. It is a suitable replacement and works as a fertilizer for plants.
The fertilizers that we buy from the market are a little bit expensive. With this homemade fertilizer, you can easily protect your plants. For making the fertilizer of baking soda, you have to follow these steps;
- Take 1 tbsp of Epsom salt.
- Now add 1 tsp of baking soda to it and mix well.
- Add half tsp of household ammonia in it. Mix all three ingredients well with each other.
- Add this mixture in 1 gallon of water and stir it well.
- Mix 1/8-1/4 of this concentrate solution in 4 cups of water. Use it on the plants once a month. Do not use a large amount of this fertilizer. Using it once a month is enough.
Benefit 4: Baking Soda as a Soil Testing Kit
Measuring soil pH levels is very important for a good garden. To measure the alkalinity and acidity of the soil is known as soil pH. For the plants, the ideal pH is between 5.5 and 7.0.
Different soil testing kits are present, but you can easily do it with baking soda. Testing with baking soda does not get an accurate result but gives you pH and soil content information. For testing soil, you have to follow these steps;
- Take the soil sample from 6 inches below the garden surface. Get rid of any impurity from the soil if present. Now take two clean cups and add soil to both these cups.
- Add water in these cups so that soil turns into mud. Add half a cup of vinegar to any of these cups and mix well. If soil fizzes and foams occur in the soil, then the soil is alkaline. The pH of the soil is above 7.
- Take a small amount of baking soda and add it to the soil’s surface in another cup. If baking soda rises in the form of bubbles, then the soil is acidic. The pH level of the ground is below 7.
- If no reaction takes place in the cups, then the soil is neutral. If you want some accurate results, you can test your soil from any laboratory. It will give you the correct information about your soil.
Benefit 5: Baking Soda as Insecticide and Herbicide
Baking soda is used as an insecticide and herbicide. It controls the attack of many insects. Baking soda helps to prevent the growth of herbicides in the garden.
As a Weed Killer
In the garden, many small weeds start sprouting. These weeds cause damage to other plants in the garden. Baking soda helps to kill these small weeds. It also helps to prevent the growth of new weeds in the garden. For controlling weeds in the garden, you have to follow these steps;
- First, you have to moisten the weeds with water. Moisten it with the help of a hose.
- Now take one tsp of baking soda.
- Sprinkle this 1 teaspoon of baking soda on the weed. Keep in mind the baking soda you are on the top of the foliage of weed.
- It starts its action on the weeds and helps to control them from spreading.
As Bug Repellents
Purchasing pesticides from the market to control pests is a little bit expensive. The natural methods for controlling pests are less expensive. They are also safe for your plants and garden. Many garden pests hate baking soda.
They do not like the smell and taste of it. Due to which these pests avoid coming in close with baking soda. You can put the baking soda on the sides of the plants. By doing this, the pests remain away from these plants.
For Killing Cabbage Worms
Caterpillars love to eat cabbage leaves. They also attack other vegetables in the garden. Caterpillars eat your vegetables and eradicate them. With the help of baking soda, you can kill these worms and save your vegetables. For killing these worms, you have to follow these steps;
- Take white flour and baking soda.
- You have to take 50% of both these products and mix them well.
- Now add this to the container or powder dispenser. With these dispensers, you can easily dust it on the plants that are infected with these worms. This mixture will not affect the vegetables. The caterpillars eat this mixture and die soon.
As an Insect Spray
There are many different types of insects that destroy plants. But with the help of baking soda, you can make a spray that helps control the insects. For making this spray
- Take 3 tbsp of baking soda.
- Add it in 2 tbsp of canola oil.
- Now add 2 tbsp of liquid soap to it. Mix them well.
- Now pour this mix in 2 gallons of water.
- After this, add 2 tbsp of vinegar to it and stir well.
- Now add this mixture to a spray bottle or in any other suitable bottle. Spray it on the underside of the leaves. Also, spray this mixture on the top of the leaves. This spray easily helps you to control the insects.
There are various benefits of using baking soda in your garden. Here, you will learn about all those advantages you will get if you use baking soda for the garden. However, you will need to use it correctly to get the best outcome.